Monday, March 2, 2009

Geneology

So my yoga teacher always said for us women to draw strength on our ancestors. I love learning about my family history and recently due to some web searching have uncovered new ancestors and got my Aunt Susan talking more about our family history.

I learned the my great great grandmother Anne McWilliams (from Ireland) was a single mother (widowed) to 5 children. She opened a boarding house in Sherbrooke, Quebec and was able to make ends meet like that. Her husband James McWilliams died 2 days after Patrick, my great grandfather, was born.

I loved learning this info and knowing that I too in some way came from another single mother. That we've existed throughout time and fight against all odds to give our children a beautiful life. Yeah to the power of single moms!

2 comments:

Earth Mama Sarah said...

Since becoming a mother, I consistently say that my heroes are the single moms of the world...

JLar said...

I love that you are learning about your family... its wonderful. what a strong and amazing example! what a great family member to look up to... 5 kids! WOW! If she can do it we can too!